Monday, 24 January 2011

linzie hunter


After my portfolio surgery with Mark Howe,

- Hand Drawn type work the strongest (book cover, body shop packaging designs and dreams posters)
- Liked how I included vector images as well as product shots, creates a variety in the portfolio.
- need to find someone to help me re-photograph my work.
- the style used for the animal illustration (don't panic poster) was really nice and simple, I should work more with this.

He mentioned that if I want to be an illustrator it's best to focus on a specific style, so agencies can use that as a selling point. I mentioned one of my focuses was on creating different illustration styles so that I could work on a larger variety of briefs. Which he agreed with since he has different styles as well.

One of his main points was that he would like to see more of my hand drawn type designs, and told me to look at Linzie hunter as inspiration.

I saw this piece on her website and included it because this is a style of working I want to test out for my sweet shop brief. Focussing on hand drawn type placed together in a compact layout. She has used a limited colour palette so that it doesn't look too messy and the words stand out more without being distracted by a variety of colour. The stock colour is used really well to break it all up and creating spaces. She hasn't limited herself to one colour per word but has mixed it all together really nicely and therefore they work as a set rather than a bunch of separate words placed together.

This shows Hand drawn type in context. She uses her illustrative skills and focusses it on creating a fun bold border, With her hand drawn type skills focusing on titles and subtitles. This could be an interesting layout design that I could use for my design context publication since my strangth doesn't lie in layout and this could be an interesting solution to that problem.

Since I am looking at book cover design for one of my briefs I decided to include this. I like how she has created the blurb, choosing certain words and names to stand out. The decision to place the back of the elephant on the front cover is quite interesting, pulling it along to the back cover as well makes the front and back work together as one piece. I also like how the barcode is worked into the image rather than just being placed at the bottom of the page its, put at a slant up the elephants leg so that the feet won't be cut out of the image.



Here is a nother really nice book design. The lettering is worked into the image, as it is placed on the sign post, and highlighted with a border. The title is broken up although you still read it all together. In this cover design she has brought the front and back together by placing the same image from the front onto the back, but widened the lense so that you can see more of the background and replaced the sign post word to what it initially was meant to be. The spine is also brought together nicely as she places the woman on the cover on it. The colour choice is really subtle and light, portraying the easy read genre of the book really well.

These are tea towels she created, really simple with a hand drawn typeface, They look really nice and work really well with her colour choices. Simple effective design.



These christmas cards are really nice, the focus is on the hand drawn type, they look completely hand made and drawn using felt pen. The words on some of them use different type for each letter. Which works really well if there are not too many words to work with. I like the border designs she has created, they are quite similar to the designs you see on vintage designs.

No comments:

Post a Comment