I played around quite a bit with the sketch of the type and this is the type design which I think works best, Put all together it works quite nicely and I feel its just as strong as the james and the giant peach cover.
Back to playing around with the colour, I quite like the idea of using purple as this is quite a prominent colour on willy wonka, the pink/purple background is a little weak though and I don't really like it. the deep purple works quite well though.
i tried reversing the colour combination, so the darker purople was more prominent, i don't think this works either, the main problem is the pink which I need to take out.
I really like this colour choice, the title stands out really well and pops out at you. My main concern here though is that it is a childrens book and the background colour is quite sinister. It needs to be brighter to catch a childs attention, and I also feel like roald dahls books, needs bright colours to match the vivid characters he creates.
I reversed out the colours, which helped a lot. It gives the cover a whole different feel to it and still manages to make the title stand out enough to make it obvious what the book is.
I decided to bring the hand drawn style of the book across to the back cover in the same way as james and the giant peach. Creating the same shape as the title on the front. i am really happy with how this has turned out, and the colour choices here were a lot easier than with james and the giant peach. I guess it helps when you have a set of rules you need to follow. One change I noticed i had to make was change the colour of the back to the same colour as the title on the front, sticking to the same style I used for james and the giant peach, helping them work as a set more.


No comments:
Post a Comment