Friday, 11 February 2011

Lauren Moshi + potential short t-shirt brief

While I was researching different illustrators I came across Lauren Moshi's work which I thought looked really good.the illustration style is really detailed, sticking to a limited colour palette (screen print t's) so that the focus is on the main illustration showing of the use of line. They work really well on t-shirt designs.
The way the t-shirt has ink splatters all over distorts the illustration a little bit which is what I quite like about this design, the illustration still stands out because of how detailed it is the ink splatteres don't affect it too much but just creates a really nice effect.


I love the use of line in this illustration, the teddy has a creepy look to it so it works for an older age group. I'm not sure if I like the colour choice, or if its the illustration which doesn't work with the reverse out effect. It might look better just black ink on a white/light hoodie.
Again, I really like the style used for this illustration, giving the bunny stuffed toy an older vibe rather than a really childlike one.
I like how this illustration stops at the garments rather than completing the whole animal, allowing the detail in the tassels and patterns to stand out. It creates a really nice arabian themed illustration.
The way the animal is standing makes this image a lot more appealing, its no placed in the normal giraffe stance, creating an interesting shape

I decided to have a look around for any t-shirt design briefs, i would like to focus on creating some illustrations for retail and thought it would be helpful to find a competition brief example which I would think is interesting. Therefore i cam across this brief.

Design Brief:

For our diffusion line, we want to give you a chance to design process our the Tshirt range which will be sold online in aid of Children in Need. You will need to capture the 1.WO/MAN image, of infusing masculinity with feminine charm, whilst still showcasing your creativity and artistic flair. You will need to create an independent vision using bold colours and graphics within your Tshirt designs that will create an urban feel that is wearable by both sexes. Whether it is stickers, paint splats, textures and patterns or everyday objects, natural forms zoomed in on, creating a pattern itself, let your creativity run wild, but still keep to the 1.WO/MAN image.

Be inspired by your surroundings to create an individual design, even if this means jotting down little things you see on your daily routine! We will be choosing designs that ooze individuality, so good luck and get designing!


I am considering rewriting it a little, I like the urban feel aspect of these designs, and would like to focus more on this for the t-shirt design. I will have a little look around to see if there is something more specific I would like to change or include.





related to the (or any) city; characteristic of city life

built-up area. Settlements are usually designated as urban once they have grown large enough to support industries which are not rural in nature. However, no common figure can be put on the necessary size as settlements function differently in different areas due to local circumstances.

relating to or concerned with a city or densely populated area;


What is an urban area?

An area that is described as urban has a minimum population
density and number of people. Such spaces are normally
relatively built-up, with housing and industrial buildings or
both. The people who live in urban areas also tend to be
regarded as town or city dwellers. Outside the boundaries,
housing, offices or factories become more thinly distributed
and open spaces more common. Some houses or industrial
buildings might be in areas not classified as urban.

Urban areas do not adhere to administrative boundaries; for
example Greater Manchester Urban Area is 4.8 times larger
than the local authority district of Manchester and the urban
area’s boundaries do not follow those of the former
metropolitan county of Greater Manchester. Because
boundaries are not static, the land area and urban population
may change over time. Changes in land use can lead to a
boundary change of an urban area. New houses built at the
edge, changing the land use from non-urban to urban, would
increase the size of that urban area. But an urban area can
decrease in size if housing or industrial buildings at the edge of
the area fall into disuse.

No comments:

Post a Comment