i decided to bring the notebook style cover design across to the other two books. I thought the james and the giant peach design was really successful and therefore am hoping it will also work for my other books.
for charlie and the chocolate factory again i decided to focus on creating a chocolate bar image. i chose several small quotes from the book which I think describes the book quite nicely and wrote them into little squares creating the separate pieces of the chocolate bar.





I decided to make the type quite bold rather than including lots of swirls since the design will be quite type heavy and therefore I need to make each piece quite simple to read.
The title I decided could include a little more detail than the quotes, to make it stand out and have a little extra edge to it. i quite like the final type of it.
Although all the separate elements placed together looks quite busy, I do still like the final outcome, it looks quite striking and i feel like it makes you want to pick it up to read what is going on. I am happy with this layout. might need a little tweaking but the concept and the design works well, it also works with the james and the giant peach design as it uses the same restrictions. Designing box sets is a lot easier once the rules have been set in place and you just follow them when designing the series.
i changed the purple colour to make it look a little brighter. The chocolate image isn't too obvious there fore I want to keep it brown, so to make the book cover stand out and include bright colours I need to make sure the title and background colours help make it pop.
The pink looks quite nice as well as a contrast to the purple, although I still feel like the purple is a little stronger since it suits the story better.
i really don't like the pink background, it doesn't work with the brown type and looks a little bland.
the brown background really doesn't work here, it doesn't make the book cover look very child friendly. I feel it needs to be lighter, to have a similar mood as the james and the giant peach book cover design.
I think green and purple works a lot better, it makes the book pop which is what I am going for with my designs and it works quite nicely with the brown type.
The blue background works quite nicely as well although I still feel like i should keep the purple, to match the willy wonka character.
I decided to look at making the chocolate bar pieces smaller maybe make it look more like a chocolate bar, it makes the design look a little less hectic but i feel the type gets a little illegible and I would prefer that people could read the quotes since this is a big part of the conecept behind my cover designs.
I made the chocolate bar a little smaller to neaten up the cover, which I think works. But I am still leaning towards the larger design. Even though it is a little hectic I feel like it has more character. Especially since the story is a little hectic as well.
Again I attempted to play around with the shape focussing on rectangular pieces. The squares still work better. I think I will stick to the original design i created. 

No comments:
Post a Comment