Saturday, 7 May 2011

1 day brief

i decided to do a one day brief since i was getting a little tired of working on the same projects over and over again i wanted to create something more illustrative so i set myself a brief to design two posters for a childs nursery room. there will be one poster for boys and one for girls. Since i want to stick to the time limit of one day I made some quick decisions and decided to focus it on animals. Bear for a boy and an owl for the girl posters.

one issue i had was that i wanted to focus on some quick simple illustrations, so i needed to fill the background to make it work as a larger print. i found some patterned paper and decided to make a collage of the background i wanted and then scan it in and live trice to create a nicepattern surface in the background of the poster.
Although i quite like this style of image, it looks a little to scribbled for a little boys room, i also feel like it looks more like a polar bear than a brown beer. He also could end up looking a little sinister.
i do quite like this illustration although i could see there being a problem with it maybe looking a little scary but i will have to see .

i am really happy with this illustration the bear looks safe and relaxed, perfect for a little boy poster.

owl drawings, i much prefer the one created before this. not sure yet if there will be two or one image on the poster but if so i think i may need to draw a new one.
I think the patterened background worked really well here. Although i decided to bring it to the foreground so it creates a nice effect over the images as well. The top bear i decided to cut off a little to make him look a little less scary although i am still a little unsure if he is appropriate to use for this poster.

now its onto colour choices, the above colours i am quite happy with but since its for a little boys room I feel like they should be a little brighter than this.
i like the colour of the bears in this one although I really dont like the background the orange doesn't lok very good either and is very distracting taking attention away fromt he illustrations.
Again i am really happy wit these colour choices although this is more of a colour palette for a uni sex room and I want this poster to be specifically for a little boys room.
Too dark.

These colours work quite nicely, keep the bear its original colour and not over powering the design with blue.

finally founf a colour choice i am happy with. I think this is by far the best one out of the bunch. keeping a consistent theme where the colours are quite similar. I showed the final design to a few friends and a lot of them mentioned that the one bear may be a little to scarey. So I think I will remove him from the image. I reckon the other illustration is strong enough to go on the poster by itself.

I actually prefer it with out the other bear illustration, and I quite like how most of the imagery is placed in one corner. Although i will see how it looks if I flip and reverse it.

This works a lot better, now you can see the illustration a lot easier.
I decided to place a different pattern in the background since I though the flat colour wasn't working with the other elements of the image. I am really happy with this final design.
i followed exactly the same rules as the previous design for my girl design so that the posters look like a set. now I just need to play around with the colour choices.


this is too dark, it needs to be a lot brighter for a little girls room.
Although i really like this colour combination i think there is a little too much brown, I like brown and the pink together I just think the brown needs to be toned down a little.

i tried making the owl larger, but don't think its working. The face gets too cut off. Also I am not too sure about the green option.
finally a colour that i think suits the poster, i like the brown in the previous one so I decided to work more on that and add a little more pink. this makes it look a lot more cute and feminine.

now to print.

No comments:

Post a Comment