Sunday, 29 May 2011

Design Boards - Homemade sweets


This was the first project brief I decided on since this was something i wanted to attempt creating. Identity for a shop including stationary and packaging. I came into this brief with lots of ideas of what I wanted to create and therefore left the project guidelines open until i made a final decision. This was definitely the wrong way to go about it since the first action plan I created failed completely because I didn't manage to make decisions quick enough since there were so many different paths I could have gone down.

When I eventually came around to starting this brief I noticed I got to one idea too quickly and didn't explore more packaging options. One area which I seem to always forget to fix is the experimental stage. I spend too long deciding what I want to do with out designing and once I have made up my mind I go down one specific path without exploring the design elements of other ideas I had. I think this has been one of my main downfalls in all of my projects and previous modules. I seem to work in a strange way for a designer since I don't illustrate my ideas but write lists of ideas.

Logo design for stationary has been something I always wanted to explore but never came around to creating in previous modules. Although I did find it a little difficult to get to a layout that I thought worked, I did really enjoy this area of the brief and its something I wish I explored more throughout this module. I think I should have picked up more of the live briefs which were on offer. I have been too close minded and decided not to do these branding briefs which were on offer since I hadn't worked on that kind of project before and therefore was a little worried about doing one without any proof in my portfolio that I was capable of it. I always seem to steer towards branding for packaging design, which I have done in a few briefs in previous modules. Now I realize I also quite like branding for stationary design as well. Although my work focusses more on hand drawn type branding therefore I feel I should have picked up the 'little summer house' brief, since my style could have potentially worked in that context.

I am pleased with the outcome of this brief, there are still changes which could be made to make this a stronger project, such as the packaging designs for the boxes. I should have picked up and existing box design. Or bought a packaging box in white and reworked the sticker wrapped around it to incorporate the pink colour which is running through out the design. I think this approach could've worked better to show a more sturdy design since the boxes which I printed in the colour are really flimsy and makes overall project look like a student piece rather than a professional one. I also would like to re-photograph the work on a grey backdrop to make them stand out more. My photography skills have improved a little which I am happy about, but I studio lighting has been a little difficult to work with ad therefore the grey backdrop works a lot better than the white one. The white backdrop gives of a glare which I can't edit out and it ruins the photos.

The range for this project was really fun to design, since I had several design elements to work with which I wanted to apply across a large range. The range on this project is the strongest in this module, I managed to explore quite a few options which I am happy about. Although if I had more time I would have like to create imagery for the in house design, such as posters and how the initial space could look since I think the imagery is really strong and I would have liked to apply a similar illustration style as prints for the walls as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment