Saturday, 28 May 2011

Design boards -Short briefs



For this project I purely wanted to create something illustrative to get a little break from my substantial briefs. I wanted to create something fun and simple and therefore decided to make a quick poster brief focussed on drawing for children.

I hadn't worked with creating illustrations for this age range, most of my briefs seem to focus on teens or young adults, which is why I decided to create something for a much younger age range. the boy poster is a lot stronger than the girl one. The illustration for the girl poster should be reworked because at the moment the owl illustration doesn't fit with the background well enough. It looks like it has just been placed there to fill some space.

Since the time limit I gave myself for this was one day I decided to stick to this and if i had some time at the end I wanted to rework it. Unfortunately I haven't managed to fix it since I needed to focus on getting all the other projects wrapped up. Overall i am pleased with the outcome. But if I were to put this in my portfolio I will rework the girl poster and perhaps draw another animal lying down in the bottom corner. or potentially and owl flying in the top corner.


This brief focussed on creating a logo for Anne Klein. It was a competition brief which i found online and decided I wanted to try. Overall as an illustration I quite like the final design, it suits my style of working, but I don't think it works with the Anne Klein clothing line and therefore i don't think this project was very successful. My style of illustration and the colour choices I decided to use for the final print don't work with the Anne Klein target market. Although I think it could work as a teens section of the clothing line, since I think its more appropriate for a younger age range.


I found this brief quite difficult to get started with, since it was a competition brief which I found online I had a lot of trouble following what they asked for. therefore i decided to rewrite it and focus on the connections between people and their environment (keeping the urban theme) I decided to focus on line drawings because I wanted the outcome to be quite rough rather than my usual illustration. Since it focussed on urban style I wanted the imagery to be the main focus and didn't want to add a lot of colour.

I would have liked to extend this brief and create a range of t-shirt designs which used the same design style but was drawn from different places in leeds. Creating a leeds t-shirt range, with its own logo design etc. Unfortunately I didn't have time to take this further since I got very caught up and a little stuck on my substantial briefs and therefore lost a lot of time on my fmp. i may decide to redo this over the summer and create a set of designs in a similar way, recording my travels.



I had a lot of trouble getting started with this cover design since the book had such a wide time scale and no specific character running throughout the book but it focussed on a lot of different people in the same families lives. I started my trying to read the book which ended up taking up quite a lot of my time and extending the time scale of this brief too much. Which then made me decide to research synopsis and symbolism in the book, which helped quite a lot. After interviews with book cover designers I have realised that you don't need to read the book as long as you manage to get a detailed review of what its about. Therefore http://www.sparknotes.com/ came in handy.

Overall I am really happy with the outcome, it is quite different to what I have created previously in my book cover designs, which is why I think its so successful. It allowed me to work more with an illustration approach rather than hand drawn type. Originally I had planned to focus on type as image for this, but since I was using hand drawn type in my Roald Dahl brief I wanted to do something different in this one so that my designs didn't get too repetitive.

This is another brief which I would have liked to extend. I am really happy with the final outcome and think it could work over a range of Gabriel Garcia Marquez books. Using the same style but redoing the patterns to suit the content of his other books, and creating a simple vector drawing which suits them more.

No comments:

Post a Comment