I decided to do this project because I wanted to focus on the research, with no real idea of what the outcome of it would be. I personally think I approach this a little wrong since I limited myself, because I wanted it to become a packaging project. I also had in mind that I wanted to create a cosmetics brand, therefore I looked into a lot of herbal cosmetics and ended up getting a little stuck on how to take the project further. I wasted quite a bit of time on this and therefore don't think I managed to experiment with a lot of different ideas before moving ahead with my final one.
In the end though I did manage to expand the research a little more and looked into gardening, where I still think I should have researched further, but then I came across Bach remedies and had to make up my mind quickly. I am glad that I chose this for my fleurons project since it was something I did find interesting. It also allowed me to play around with illustration on packaging.
I think this is one of my weaker projects, I should have explored other ideas rather than just focussing on the one that I got. The limited time I left myself also made it harder to experiment further. I quite like my final design idea, but would have preferred to play around more with illustration and using an existing typeface rather than the hand drawn one. This is something which was mentioned in my final crit, which I would have preferred to have been mentioned earlier so I had more time to correct it, but I didn't have enough to show for this project in other crits and therefore the feedback came too late. Due to time constraints and lack of money to reprint, I didn't manage to change this.
As A range I think the products are quite striking. Other areas which I still think need to be fixed are the packaging templates. The side flaps which helps hold them closed were left out, unfortunately I didn't notice this until I had printed all my designs, also the illustrations aren't all aligned correctly. I feel like my time management has been set back a little in my FMP, which is a shame since I think this project could have been quite strong.
One of my main weaknesses which I need to fix, is experimentation and this I think is my weakness in all the projects I have done. I focus too much on researching different products and designers to get inspiration and don't start testing until all the research is finished, which then means I choose which idea I want to go ahead with, without experimenting with the others. I just write what I could do rather than experimenting with visuals and seeing which one is the stronger concept.
Overall I am happy with the end product although the final resolution needs to be fixed up. Since I don't have time before the deadline to reprint everything. I will rework, reprint and re-photograph it for my portfolio since the strongest outcome hasn't been reached and I do think this project has a lot more potential.
No comments:
Post a Comment