Monday, 16 May 2011

packaging layout



For the separate 13 bottle packaging I created all the hand drawn type first so that I had all the elements that I needed to put together. this took a lot longer than i thought but finally got there in the end, by following the same rules as I did in the previous packaging design.
finding the right placement for this imagery proved to be a little difficult since most of the information is placed on the exterior box, all I really need to work with is the hand drawn type. So I had to play around quite a lot to get this right. The above layout is not working since you wouldn't see all the information clearly when it is wrapped around the bottle.

this looks a lot better although yet again I am a little unsure about how well you would be able to read the information once it is wrapped around the bottle, also I am a little unsure about the colour of the flower, I don't know if I think the colour black is fitting in this style of brief. Especially since it focusses on flowers which have a lot of bright colours which I want to bring forward here.
it works a lot better putting the black in the background, and the orange upfront although the writing gets a little lost here.
opening up the space helps looks better which then allows you to see what is happening in the background and you can also see the illustration of the flower a lot better.
i still think the black was an inappropriate colour choice and changed the colour of the flower in photoshop (monotone) this looks a lot neater. the black was a little too bold and wasn't working. The colours need to stick to the three chosen therefore this is more successful and fits in wih the set better.
To make this packaging resemble the balm packaging more, I decided to repeat the title so it fills the are the same way as on the balm. i actually really like this layout and think it works the best, i also think the flower on the side looks quite nice, showing of the flower used in theis remedy.
i experimented with changing it back to black with this layout the black doesn't look to awkward and also helps make the flower stand out form the other imagery. I am glad i decided to stick with hand drawn imagery throughout. I was considering using an existing typeface since i had already got quite a lot of illustration. But since this project is a natural remedy i think it helps that it looks a little abstract and floral. i think this suits the brief really well and am pleased with the overall outcome of it.

Played around with the colour choice of the type, i think the purple stands out more than the pink did which probably will work better since you should be able to read it. The importnat info is on the outer packaging but if someone loses that at least there is a description of what the bottle does on the actual bottle as well.

since there is quite a large number of remedies in the set i though including numbers would be quite helpful and add a little extra to the final design so it doesn't look too empty.

colour choices for the number 1, i think the number should be the same colour as the background so it doesn't stand out too much and also so that a different colour isn't created with the layered transparency. Although i think i will change the descriptive writing back to purple so that it stands out better and is more legible.



final 13 designs, I struggled quite a bit with the double digits numbers but finally got there in the end by overlapping them a little and changing the colours to make one number stand out form the other. All together i think they work as a set. The colour gradient goes down quite smoothly. i also like how some colours on different designs are illegible, as long as you can read one i don;t think this matters, it just adds another abstractive edge to the overall brief. I think this has been pretty successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment