I found some of Shun Kawakami's inspiring. As displayed before japanese tend to focus a lot on nature, here are some of Shun Kawakami type designs where he manipulates the numbers and creates trees/flowers growing out of them.
"You also did such wonderful graphics for the 10th anniversary artbook of Japanese video production company WOW…"
Yes, it’s a series of numbers based on the theme of trees and plants representing Japanese seasons, for example the cherry and plum blossoms and sunflowers. These were used in the title pages of WOW’s artbook."

"Japanese culture plays a greater role in your overall work. Any specific reason for that?"
"I always keep the idea of presenting my works overseas in my mind, so I try to stress my originality based on the fact that I am Japanese. Then I use motifs that really interest me at the time, such as Ikebana, Bonsai, and calligraphy on top of that."
"How come? Is there any incident or story to it?"
"When I participated in an exhibition for +81 magazine in New York, I wanted to make something surprising for the locals, something that made me aware of the ideas that only the Japanese can come up with. In the past, I used to create works that were aiming at Western styles. However, once I had stepped out of the country, I noticed that there were so many doing the same sort of stuff and that made me realise that there is probably no need for me as a Japanese to do the same… So since then, I started studying about Japan and began to look at Japanese ink and wash paintings with particular attention to spacing and compositions. I’d always liked Japanese paintings, but I became even more fond of it since."

No comments:
Post a Comment