Wednesday, 9 March 2011

sketchbook




I found that I needed to make a better plan in order for these images to work therefore, I have decided to westernise the game and make it easier to understand/ see the difference between each suit. Therefore I will make a symbol for each of the suits and use a similar layout to playing cards for this game.

i will need to focus on the designs for the playing cards and then bring this across to the packaging design.

the back of the playing cards could be used for the packaging or vise versa. The writing on the packaging can be used for the back of the playing cards (need to bring in tiger beer colours/logo so it is still recognisable. orange on blue, blue wrapping with orange design?)

12 suits/flowers/months- symbol for each.

BRIGHT CARDS= PICTURE CARDS (symmetry- diagonal- another form of picture shape/type to make it recogniseable they are the high point cards))

Camp curtain, Crane/red moon, moon, phoenix, rainman= 5 cards

ANIMAL CARDS= Ace (picture/symbol)

Boar, deer, butterfly, cuckoo, nightingale, sake, geese, swallow, bridge= 9 cards

3 poetry/ribbon cards, 3 blue ribbons= 6 ribbon cards (could change the ribbons to blue and orange to match tiger beer packaging)


10 plain cards= 2 innsame suit, number 1 and 2 of playing cards.


I created some vector images which I think work quite nicely, it fits with the style used to create each of the suits. Since I want to try and westernise the game so that its easier to understand and see the differences between the suits. I think the symbols I created work quite nicely. After a few trials and error, they still manage to keep the initial plant shape but are simplified down a lot.

I played around with the vector imagery, to see how it could work on a card design. I really like the outcome of it and think it looks quite strong. Although I am still a little unsure whether I should change the illustrations so that it still keeps the japanese feel to them. Make it look more hand drawn, but with western influences (symbols and icons)

No comments:

Post a Comment