
Some attempts to create a typeface out of hand drawn maps, there have been several other sheets of experimenting that didn't work at all. These are the only ones which came close to looking ok. I am not sure this idea is working as well as I hoped and I suspect fixing this idea would go over the time frame I want to stick to for this brief. Therefore i think I may scrap this idea and if I have a little spare time at the end I could attempt to fix it up.
I decided to get out of my room and work with the environment, I took some quick photos of leeds cirty centre trying to find a way to show some movement in the city. So I created some joiners, which let people move around and created some interesting images. Some people were cut off and shown twice, so I am quite happy with how this portrayed the hustle in leeds centre. I would have liked there to be more people although that could potentially make it look to messy.
I created some line drawings from the photos, which are quite successful, I didn't include all the detail in the buildings but just followed a few lines and decided to keep it as a continous line drawing showing the connection between the people and the environment. It's quite a simple image but it works with what I wanted to show about an urban space.

I played around with filling the sections in, which I also think is quite successful and creaed an interesting effect, looks like there are shadows in there. I also like how it creates a geometric style image. And it also makes the buildings stand out.
I looked at just focussing on the hustle and bustle and looked at just using people. I think this loses the idea of the urban space and doesn't suit the brief.
i wanted to show more detail in the buildings, so you can see what is going on better. So I decided to live trace the joiners and placed the line drawings over them. Since the live tracing of the joiners ended up looking quite messy since they are overlapping, I decided to use the filled in line drawings and placed it over them. Which made it easier to see what was going on. I also quite like how the line drawings and the block colours wrk together.

i wanted to show more detail in the buildings, so you can see what is going on better. So I decided to live trace the joiners and placed the line drawings over them. Since the live tracing of the joiners ended up looking quite messy since they are overlapping, I decided to use the filled in line drawings and placed it over them. Which made it easier to see what was going on. I also quite like how the line drawings and the block colours wrk together.

I experimented with changeing the fill to white, so you can't see that there is a fill but it also cleans up the live tracing by cutting out some of the lines. I think this is the most successful image. Although I want to try work with the illustration using thicker lines and creating a more abstract looking illustration, but still recognisable.

I decided to mock up some of the illustrations to see how it would look printed. I experimented with the simple blocked in colour image, which I think is quite successful, I do really like the white on black. and how simple it looks.
i like this image although having it printed so small could lose the detail and look like a scribble on someones chest. One thing i do really like a bout the illustration though is how the photos have been outlined, keeping an geometric style to the initial sketch.


I decided to see how it would look with the white fill on a different background, I do really like this outcome. It looks quite interesting and different from what you usually see printed on t-shirts.





No comments:
Post a Comment